August is National Breastfeeding Month
Women, Infants and Children (WIC) of Pace Community Action Agency, Inc. joins observances across the State of Indiana and throughout the Nation this month to raise awareness about breastfeeding. The purpose of National Breastfeeding Month is to raise awareness and advocate for the policy and practices that breastfeeding families need. The theme of this year’s National Breastfeeding Month is Breastfeeding: Foundation of Life! And will focus on breastfeeding as the foundation of lifelong good health for babies and mothers.
Michelle Pitcher stated, “Pace’s WIC program provides services for breastfeeding mothers or pregnant mothers that want to breastfeed. We provide counseling and breastfeeding materials to pregnant and breastfeeding clients; promote healthy behaviors and services to improve health outcomes; and we offer classes, trainings, and educational materials.”
· Breastfed babies are more resistance to disease and infection early in life (such as cavities, respiratory and gastrointestinal infections, and obesity).
· Breastfed babies have a 36-50% lower risk of SIDS than those who are not.
· Women who breastfeed return to their pre-pregnancy weight faster than those who don’t.
· Mothers that breastfed have a lower risk of developing: Type 2 diabetes, postpartum depression, osteoporosis, breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer.
· Mothers that breastfeed enjoy a special bond through the skin-to-skin contact that breastfeeding involves.
· A breastfeeding family can save up to $4,000 per year on formula costs.
WIC encourages Indiana Hoosiers to work together to emphasize the importance of a strong partnership between the community and the family in helping develop responsible and healthy attitudes about breastfeeding. For more information or to make an appointment, call (812) 254-0002- Daviess and (812) 886-0107- Knox.
Pace Community Action Agency, Inc. is a private not-for-profit Community Action Agency established to provide support services to improve the community and encourage self-reliance. Services are provided without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, or status as a veteran.
We Educate, Empower and Improve through organized steps at a personalized pace!
“Like” us on Facebook