August is National Breastfeeding Month
Women Infants and Children (WIC) of Pace Community Action Agency joins observances from across the State of Indiana and throughout the Nation to raise awareness about breastfeeding. The theme of this year’s National Breastfeeding Month (#NBM17) is Charting the Course Together—will focus on how we can use data and measurements to build and reinforce the connections between breastfeeding and a broad spectrum of other health topics and initiatives.
Michelle Pitcher, Pace’s Clinical Services Manager, stated, “Based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) 2014 report card, 74.1% of women in Indiana have tried breastfeeding compared to the national average of 79.2%. Pace’s WIC program provides services for breastfeeding mothers or pregnant mothers that want to breastfeed.” We provide counseling and breastfeeding materials to pregnant and breastfeeding clients; promote healthy behaviors and services to improve health outcomes; and offer education, classes, trainings, and education materials.
- Breastfed babies are more resistant to disease and infection early in life (such as cavities, respiratory and gastrointestinal infections, and obesity).
- Breastfed babies have a 36-50% lower risk of SIDS than those who are not.
- Women who breastfeed return to their pre-pregnancy weight faster than those who don’t.
- Mothers that breastfeed have a lower risk of developing: Type 2 diabetes, postpartum depression, osteoporosis, breast-, uterine-, and ovarian- cancer.
- Mothers that breastfeed enjoy a special bond through the skin-to-skin contact that breastfeeding involves.
- A breastfeeding family can save up to $4,000 per year on formula costs.
WIC encourages Indiana Hoosiers to work together to emphasize the importance of a strong partnership between the community and the family in helping to develop responsible and healthy attitudes about breastfeeding. For more information or to make an appointment, call (812) 254-0002- Daviess and (812) 886-0107- Knox.
Pace Community Action Agency, Inc. is a private not-for-profit Community Action Agency established to provide support services to improve the community and encourage self-reliance. Services are provided without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, or status as a veteran.
We Educate, Empower and Improve through organized steps at a personalized pace!
“Like” us on Facebook