Pace Community Action Agency, Inc.

Emergency Food and Shelter

Emergency Food and Shelter


What is Emergency Food and Shelter?

The Emergency Food and Shelter program is funded through The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to provide rent/mortgage and utility assistance in Daviess, Greene, Knox and Sullivan Counties.

I don't need the assistance, but how can i help?

The funding available for this program is limited, contributions are greatly appreciated. Follow this link to find out how to donate.

How does this program help?

Benefits to Households:

  • Prevented eviction, foreclosure or disconnected utilities.
  • Qualified households may be eligible for one month's rent or mortgage payment, and/or one month's utility payment up to $200. Residents of Daviess County may be eligible to receive emergency shelter.
  • Services through FEMA funding are limited to one time in a 12-month period.

Benefits to Community:

  • Reduction of homelessness and lower demand for public assistance.
  • Utilizing service providers within our communities to create jobs and support local business owners.

Who Qualifies?

The Emergency Food & Shelter Program provides assistance to households who are at or below 225% of poverty guidelines and need assistance with rent, mortgage or utility payments. The one-month's payment must guarantee the continuation of services for 30 days.

How do I apply?

The best way to know if you will qualify is to apply. Contact the Client Services office nearest you in Daviess, Greene, or Knox County for an appointment.  Residents of Sullivan County should contact the Greene County office for assistance.

Items you will need for your appointment include:

  • Utility bill or rent/mortage information
  • Social Security number for each individual living in the household
  • Date of birth for each individual living in the household
  • Proof of income for past 12 months including:
    • Wages
    • TANF
    • Social Security
    • SSI
    • Interest
    • Child Support and/or Alimony
    • Cash from odd jobs

You may provide as proof: check stubs, copies of SSI or Social Security checks (bank statements), award letters, employer statements, etc.