National Community Action
Community Action changes people's lives, embodies the spirit of hope, improves communities, and makes America a better place to live.
We care about the entire community, and we are dedicated to helping people help themselves and each other.
Code of Ethics
We, as community action professionals, dedicate ourselves to eliminating poverty in the midst of plenty in this nation by opening to everyone the opportunity for education and training; the opportunity for work; and the opportunity to live in decency and dignity; and with respect for cultural diversity, commit ourselves to:
- Recognize that the chief function of the community action movement at all times is to serve the best interests of the poor, thereby serving the best interests of all people.
- Accept as a personal duty the responsibility to keep up to date on emerging issues and to conduct ourselves with professional competence, fairness, impartiality, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Respect the structure and responsibilities of the board of directors, provide them with facts and advice as a basis for their making policy decisions, and uphold and implement policies adopted by the board of directors.
- Keep the community informed about issues affecting the poor; facilitate communication by the poor with locally elected public officials and the private sector.
- Conduct our organizational and operational duties with positive leadership exemplified by open communication, creativity, dedication, and compassion.
- Exercise whatever discretionary authority we have under the law to promote the interest of the poor.
- Lead the community action movement with respect, concern, courtesy, and responsiveness, recognizing that service to the poor is beyond service to oneself.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity, truthfulness, honesty, and fortitude in all our community action activities in order to inspire confidence and trust in the community action movement.
- Serve in such a way that we do not realize undue personal gain from the performance of our professional duties.
- Avoid any interest or activity that is in conflict with the conduct of official duties.
- Respect and protect privileged information to which we have access in the course of official duties.
- Strive for professional excellence and encourage the professional development of our associates, including those seeking to become certified community action professionals
We have adopted the Community Action Code of Ethics, Vision & Values, and Promise
Approved by Pace CAA Board of Directors September 19,2013